Inspiring Sustainable Travel Through Vlogging
Video blogging (vlogging) is an extremely popular form of digital content. Around 44% of web users watch some form of vlog as millions of people tune in to watch content creators like PewDiePie and Zoella.
However, vlogging is more than pure entertainment. Some of the most popular vloggers align their channels with a social cause they care about. YouTube vloggers like Mr. Beast have even created philanthropic charities designed to end world hunger and reduce poverty.
As a sustainability-oriented traveler, you can use your digital presence to inspire others to reduce their carbon footprint while traveling. This is particularly important today, as recently released NASA statistics show that CO2 levels have risen by over 100 million parts per million since 1960.
Building a Following
Growing a digital community can be tricky. Competition is fierce online as hundreds of other would-be vloggers are all competing to register with the algorithm and boost their profile. You can increase your chances of getting picked up by the algorithm by making strategic changes that will help you get more subscribers on YouTube like:
- Be Consistent: Audiences will only stick around if you post on a regular basis. Aim to post once a week and use a scheduling tool to make the process that much easier.
- Eye-Catching Graphics: Banners and logos will draw folks to your channel. Spend some time with programs like Canva to create a strong brand presence.
- Push Subscriptions: Many viewers who watch your content simply forget to subscribe after the video. Give them a gentle reminder towards the end of your vlog and embed a link within your video.
- Optimize for YouTube SEO: The YouTube algorithm is notoriously fickle. Maximize your chances of building a following by creating content that aligns with your keyword research. This will bring more organic traffic to your channel and boost your ranking on YouTube.
It takes time to build a following on YouTube. Don’t be dissuaded by low viewership and poor engagement. Instead, be persistent and continue to post consistently, high-quality content to your YouTube page. Experiment with research-driven sustainability topics and remember to break out your camera whenever you’re on an adventure.
Sustainable Travel Tips
Keyword research should be the driving force behind your content creation decisions. At first, you’ll have to target low-competition keywords that bring a smaller, but reliable viewership to your channel. Over time, however, you can start to take on highly relevant keywords related to sustainable travel.
When creating eco-friendly travel content, consider creating playlists based on sustainable travel tips like:
- Packing Efficiency: A 10% reduction in weight can improve your car’s fuel economy by up to 8%. Help your viewers travel more sustainably by providing handy tips to reduce their packing weight and improve the efficiency of their vehicles.
- Recycling on the Road: Every state has different laws when it comes to recycling. Help your viewers travel more sustainably by creating “how to” recycling guides for each state and county you visit on your adventures.
- Route Plotting: Your viewers will love “behind the scenes” content that shows how you plan your journey. Be sure to highlight decisions you are making to reduce your carbon footprint and always opt for fuel-efficient routes.
- Vehicle Maintenance and Upgrades: Your car becomes less fuel efficient over time. Show viewers how they can maximize their fuel economy by making strategic changes to tires, aerodynamics, and weight-saving parts.
These “how-to” tips can be organized into distinct playlists on YouTube. This will help subscribers find the content they are looking for and can boost the amount of traffic you get on your site. Just remember to follow up with other forms of eco-friendly content creation and fact-check any claims you make.
Responsible Eco-Friendly Content Creation
Eco-friendly lifestyle blogging is a great way to amplify your voice and reach like-minded audiences. A sustainability-oriented blog can boost your YouTube traffic, too, as folks will likely want to consume more of your video content once they’ve found your blog online.
However, as an eco-friendly vlogger, you have a responsibility to the folks who follow your channel. You cannot afford to mislead well-meaning folks and should take care to fact-check all of the content that you publish on YouTube.
Improve the veracity of your video content by sourcing your information from peer-reviewed scientific journals and trusted eco-journals. While personal experiences have a place in the sustainability world, you need to make sure your claims are rooted in scientifically-validated research. This will ensure that you don’t accidentally deceive viewers and will protect your brand image as a sustainable travel vlogger.
Vlogging is a great way to connect with new communities and raise climate change awareness. You can use your sustainable vlogs to teach a wide audience all about low-carbon travel and eco-friendly adventuring. Just be sure to use a keyword research strategy to plan your content and back up all of your claims with peer-reviewed research.